Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Periodic Contributor

going to grad school after age 50

Anyone else out there thinking this is the beginning, not the end? I'm researching grad school and dreaming about a new and fulfilling encore career. I'd like to hear your experiences. Did you do an in-person or an online program? Were you accepted by the other students even though you were older? What were the rewards and the challenges?

AllNaturalEverything
Esteemed Social Butterfly

👴👵  Comebacker: Michelle Cyrus Age 60 (AARP Video)

Michelle Cyrus got an advanced degree so she could help other adult learners go back to school, just like she did. She modeled lifelong learning for her children and husband, too. Learn about her story.

https://videos.aarp.org/detail/video/6328274508112/aarp-50-education-comebacker:-michelle-cyrus

0 Kudos

‌[1] For those who have posted, any UPDATES to share?

[2] Any TIPS for those of us who would like to do what YOU HAVE DONE?

[3] YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION!!!  ‌‌💃‌‌‌‌💃‌‌‌‌💃‌‌

[4] Thank you for stopping by to share.

Thanks,

Nicole  ‌‌‌‌👵‌‌‌‌

0 Kudos

👴👵  Curious Minds Go Back to School (AARP Article)

Harmon, 75, had gone to work for aerospace and defense contractor Lockheed (now Lockheed Martin) at the dawn of the semiconductor era, in 1965.

When his engineering career ended, Harmon began to pursue what had always interested him: “I decided I would go back to my first love, anthropology.”

Harmon takes advantage of a state program called the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver. Residents of Virginia for at least a year who are 60 or older can enroll or audit (without academic credit) classes at state schools. Harmon doesn’t qualify to have the tuition waived—that’s available only to those with taxable income of up to $23,850 a year.

But he doesn’t have to pay tuition for classes he audits and gets other perks, like free parking and no lab fees. And he enjoys the benefits of campus life at George Mason University in Fairfax County, such as the rec centers, evening events and libraries.

https://states.aarp.org/virginia/curious-minds-go-back-to-school

0 Kudos

👴👵  This Grandfather Age 88 Graduated College With His Granddaughter (AARP Video)

When his granddaughter started college, Rene Neira decided to work toward his goal of getting a college degree at 88 and was able to graduate with her.

https://videos.aarp.org/detail/video/6300996738001/this-grandfather-graduated-college-with-his-grand...

0 Kudos

👴👵  Comebacker: Dorothy Mae Barr-Moore Age 65+ (AARP Video)

Dorothy Mae Barr-Moore always wanted to complete her bachelor’s degree. A Kentucky scholarship for older adults helped her make her dream a reality.

https://videos.aarp.org/detail/video/6316318163112/aarp-50-education-comebacker:-dorothy-mae-barr-mo...

0 Kudos

MAY 2024.

1 comment (5/16/24) Hi @LizS378813 , how did your exams go?  🤔  And I bet you you are ENJOYING your Summer Break IF it has started!!!  💃💃💃

Thanks,

Nicole  👵

[*** LIZ @LizS378813 wrote 4/29/24:

I took my Contracts Law II exam this morning. I have one more final exam and for my Property class next Monday morning at  9 am. My summer break begins. I will be finished with my first year of law school. I will start my second year in the middle of August. I am glad for the summer vacation. I want enjoy my summer vacation and do lots of fun things like GalaxyCon, which is largest comic book convention in Oklahoma and start on May 24th-26th. I worked hard this semester and want enjoy my time off. ***]

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I  believe  I did good on my finals. I am enjoying my vacation now. The comic book convention, Galaxycon is next Saturday. I am looking forward to it. August wiill begin my second year of law school. Law school is hard and won't say that it is not. It is doable. I am glad to have my first year of law finished.

Contributor

I am in Grad school at age 83. Many states allow you y to enter cost free in any program at no cost. You have to apply and be accepted just like anyone. I began in class and with Covid changed to on-line. Both were great. I was accepted and actually the professors appreciated my contributions. After all I was a primary source in a Masters Gerontology program! I loved every minute of class and interaction s!

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I decided to go for a master's of public affairs, with an emphasis in nonprofit organization management and policy. When Covid hit, we just switched to Zoom-based classes. Because of my state's program to let seniors earn university credits for very little money, I did not have to take out any loans and I graduated in May 2021. Similar to your experience @SuzanneG427647 , I also found that I was sometimes a resource (e.g., I was alive during the Civil Rights Era in the 1960s, etc.) and was accepted by the other students. The readings, and the discussions with other students--many in their 20s--were very helpful in understanding what is happening now, and the intellectual stimulation was energizing. Now, I'm contemplating applying for a doctoral program, or perhaps law school!

AllNaturalEverything

APRIL 2024.

2 comments (4/10/24) @LizS378813 , do you plan to do MORE school when you finish in a few weeks? And thank you SO MUCH for your recent update!!!

Nicole 👵

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I took my Contracts Law II exam this morning. I have one more final exam and for my Property class next Monday morning at  9 am. My summer break begins. I will be finished with my first year of law school. I will start my second year in the middle of August. I am glad for the summer vacation. I want enjoy my summer vacation and do lots of fun things like GalaxyCon, which is largest comic book convention in Oklahoma and start on May 24th-26th. I worked hard this semester and want enjoy my time off.

Periodic Contributor

I plan on going this comic book convention that is coming 2 weeks after final exams. Then, I want see the Capital Building and visit down Oklahoma city. I want to visit the Native American Museum. There is the classical Music concern series in June and visit Fried Pie Factory in Ardmore

“For the best return on your money, pour your purse into your head.” -- Benjamin Franklin.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

59 here. Will be earning my Masters in Dec.

Periodic Contributor

Congratulations 🎉 

APRIL 2024.

1 comment (4/10/24)

CONGRATS @er3626 !!!  💃💃💃

Nicole  👵

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks. Just hope I could find a job in the field I'm studying.🙏

Periodic Contributor

I am. Looking forward to a second grad school go round starting this month. Would love to hear from others also on this journey. 

I I am 56 and start Grad school in 2 weeks to become a school counselor. I've been a substitute teacher for a few years now and feel committed to helping kids. I am both excited and at the same time nervous about my new journey. 

Periodic Contributor

How is your program going?

Contributor

I’m 55 and starting a Masters in Mental Health Counseling this fall. Go, us!!

MARCH 2024.

1 comment (3/22/24) CONGRATS @WendyM493688  💃💃💃

Nicole  👵

[*** WENDY @WendyM493688 wrote:

I’m 55 and starting a Masters in Mental Health Counseling this fall. Go, us!! ***]

Contributor

Thank you!!

Periodic Contributor

I am 58 and on my 2nd semester of Grad School. In 2021 I received my online certification in ACE Data Science and Advanced Data Science. I did so well I decided to go for my Masters in Data Science. I was advised to go part time since I already work full time. The classes are completely online. It is very challenging and sometimes difficult. At times I felt like giving up but my fellow students always reminded me why I was there and told me never to give up. Yes at my age I felt awkward but few students are over 30 and our age. We are encouraged to collaborate and help each other when we have questions. This is how I made friends with the other fellow students. We communicate by zoom, whatsapp, slack,  and sometimes a quick call or text. The challenges I have found is that most students are already doing some type of work in the field that I chose and have I no type of work experience in the field but what I've learned in school. At this age we do need to work a little more harder then when we were young but earning that "A" in the class and have students come to you for help, does pay off in the long run. I say is never too late to go back to school. 

Periodic Contributor

I am 51 and took the November LSAT 2022. I got good score on the test and saw my test result on Wednesday. I just got done applying 8 law schools in Texas. I feel tired after filling out the school applications. I had wanting to go for 15 years and was held back due family and financial problems. It feels good to apply and give it a try. I did computer work for 26 years and decided it was time to change careers.

Periodic Contributor

Here is my latest update. I am 3 weeks away from finishing my first year in law school. It is hard, but fun at times. I would not look back. It is a part of my journey. I have final exams coming up starting next week in Legal Analysis II class.

Periodic Contributor

I got an accepted to law school on Christmas day.. I receive my acceptance letter on Christmas Day and was shocked.  This is my update.

MARCH 2024.

1 comment (3/22/24) @LizS378813  , are you all finished or still in school?  🤔  Your post is an INSPIRATION!!!

Nicole  👵

[*** LIZ @LizS378813 wrote:

I got an accepted to law school on Christmas day.. I receive my acceptance letter on Christmas Day and was shocked.  This is my update. ***]

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I will be finished with my first year of law school in four weeks. I am getting my outlines together and preparing class every day. Law school is very hard. My first year was hard, but I managed to get the hard part of it.It is hard, but it is worth. I just got my first A a week ago.  I put together for Legal Writing and Research II class my first appellate brief. It was hard to put together. I am going to be second year law student next semester if all goes well. I am going to ready study for the finals to  make that happen.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

AARP Memorial Day Membership Sale

More From AARP