Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Periodic Contributor

A Question About Age Discrimination?

I realize many seniors encounter age discrimination- it is not a trivial concern. However, I am wondering if age discrimination declines as a problem for workers in their 60s who have Medicare? Employers would not face the same potentially high health costs with this category of worker, although, of course, the risk of decreased time in the work force does exist. What do you think about this issue? Is it realistic for someone 65+ to return to the work force full-time in a competitive way?

Trusted Contributor

The people I know who are 60+, use employer provided health insurance as their primary with Medicare as their secondary. If health insurance for the retired person seeking employment is Medicare, thereโ€™s nothing for an employer to be concerned with and the employee isnโ€™t required to join the โ€˜company planโ€™ though it may have superior benefits such as vision, dental, eyewear discounts. As for age being a liability, look at our Congress ๐Ÿ‘€

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

AARP Memorial Day Membership Sale

More From AARP