Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Monthly Income-Related Adjustment for Part D Medicare - How to Get a Refund for Past Overpayments?

Contributor

Monthly Income-Related Adjustment for Part D Medicare - How to Get a Refund for Past Overpayments?

Hi:   I retired in 2022 and was charged a part D monthly adjustment in 2022 for high income reported on 2020 tax return filed in April 2021. May I file for a refund based on 2022 income? If so do I use Form SSA-44?

Or am I out of luck because I did not file SSA-44 in 2022 when I retired?

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Social Butterfly

You are out of luck - too much time has passed.  

Aren't you talking about IRMAA for Part B and Part D - but maybe not if you had work coverage for Part B - Part D wouldn't be that much 

Sorry

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Contributor

I see now that I had 60 days from receiving the notification letter:

"You have 60 days from receiving a notice to appeal an Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA) for Medicare Part B or Part D. You can appeal for several reasons, including if you disagree with the tax information the SSA used to decide the IRMAA, or if you experienced a life-changing event."

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sorry - Guess you are OK now ?  You see some of us have to pay them EVERY YEAR so we keep up with tax returns and IRMAA notices for the current year.  They are usually right every year but I do make sure they are.

0 Kudos
Contributor

LOL this is kind of a kick in the head....almost 200 a month each for myself and my wife for two years since we also paid the adjustment for 2023. I assume its too late to get a refund for 2023 excess payments....

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

What was your life event for each of the years for which you would want to file?  The life events are listed on the form SSA-44

0 Kudos
Contributor

Retirement resulting in decrease in income is listed as a life changing event.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Yep, known as “Work Stoppage” on the SSA-44.  And if that had been the case, back in 2022, that’s what you would have used.

It all has to be backed up with a tax return or legal documents like a divorce degree.

You are OK now right?  You are paying the usual base 2024 premium for Part B now - $ 174.70 per month unless you really dropped in income and need some societal help (subsidy).

0 Kudos
Contributor

I take that back it was about $80 a month  for each of us. I misread the charat.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You are out of luck - too much time has passed.  

Aren't you talking about IRMAA for Part B and Part D - but maybe not if you had work coverage for Part B - Part D wouldn't be that much 

Sorry

0 Kudos
Contributor

Sorry you are right, I am concerned with part B.  The part D coverage adjustment isn't very significant. 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP