Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Benefit for minor child

Does anyone know if I am able to check on the status of my son's social security benefit payment. He lives with my ex-wife and neither of them will communicate with me. My son turned 18 in January of 2024, so does that mean his benefit has stopped automatically? I read about the ability to extend it if the child is enrolled in a school under grade 12, but he was home schooled his entire life. Am I able to check online somewhere if his benefit has stopped?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@AnthonyT865525 

Since you did not say what type of benefits your son is /  was getting, here is just a synopsis of what Family benefits are available under the different programs of Social Security. 

SSA.gov - Family Benefits

As you see sometimes, these kid benefits end at 16 or sometimes at 18 - or sometimes 19 if they are Survivors benefits (but you. both - you and Xwife seem to be alive)

If he is disabled, the childโ€™s benefit does end but disability can be refilled as an adult.

The type of benefit is important to answer your question specifically but maybe this canned answer. by the SSA will answer your question.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos

When I retired he was able to get a benefit for minor children. From what I read it is supposed to stop at age 18 but can continue to 19 if the child is still enrolled in a school below grade 12. My son was never enrolled in school, he was home schooled. I was just wondering if I was able to verify that it has stopped. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

SSA.gov - RETIREMENT/ Benefits for your Family

Then look down to the heading of BENEFITS FOR YOUR CHILDREN

from the link:

When you qualify for Social Security retirement benefits, your children may also qualify to receive benefits on your record. Your eligible child can be your biological child, adopted child, or stepchild. A dependent grandchild may also qualify.

To receive benefits, the child must:

Benefits stop when children reach age 18 unless they are disabled. However, if the child is still a full-time student at a secondary (or elementary) school at age 18, benefits will continue until the child graduates or until two months after the child becomes age 19, whichever is first.

Benefits paid for your child will not decrease your retirement benefit. In fact, the value of the benefits they may receive, added to your own, may help you decide if taking your benefits sooner may be more advantageous.

Yes, SSA should be able to let you know about these benefits.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Just to be clear, any benefit collected by your son or ex-wife have no effect on your own benefits, now or in the future 

Social Butterfly

@AnthonyT865525 

This SSA document addresses such disclosures. 

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0203316105

good luck

This is exactly what I'm looking for! However, how do I contact Social Security to obtain this information? Can I email them or do I have to call?

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@AnthonyT865525 

Iโ€™m sure you would have to call or visit a local office. I donโ€™t think they have an email address for inquiries.

Thank you so much! I'll try calling them on Monday. Have a great weekend!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP