Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Not sure if this is the right category to post this in! Re: transportation to an MD appt

Periodic Contributor

Not sure if this is the right category to post this in! Re: transportation to an MD appt

Would you have interpreted this as though the person was saying they could take you to the Dr. appt?

I called someone I know and asked if they could drive me to an upcoming Dr. appt. The Dr. office said I had to have someone drive me as I was going to have a procedure that could take a half hour and would involved light anesthesia. (Colonoscopy). So I needed someone to drive me home per their rules. Their rules also included that they would not release you to an Uber, taxi, etc. because if you were going to be under anesthesia prior, they didn't want people with strangers alone afterwards.

I offered my bowling buddy gas money ($25 which would have been more than enough) and also offered to buy him lunch as well.. I also said  "I'd also be glad to give you some money for your time"). That part they didn't respond to but the offer was still on the table as far as I was concerned.)

They asked me what day it was. I told them the day and they said "I should be able to do that as I am not doing anything that day".  (Note: I'd be able to do that vs. I can do that or will do that is where I am confused). When I told them what time I had to be there they replied "that's no problem". They went on to ask my exact address. And they mentioned what time would be a good time to pick me up.

I was very happy to have a ride arranged. Or so I thought.

The next day I got a super short email that said "Take an Uber or a bus. I can't take you to the Dr. appointment". That was the extent of the email.

It's OK if someone has a change of plans, that's not in question. Again, people have the right to change their mind about anything. And I have no issue with that.

I'm just curious though, would you have thought based on the first conversation that they were agreeing to take you or would you think they hadn't committed yet to taking you.

Second to that and I am just being honest here, I thought the email "Take an Uber or a bus.." was kind of abrupt. Maybe they could have thrown in "I am sorry I won't be able to help you after all or I am sorry there has been a change of plans on my end".

What are your thoughts on that too?

We are still friends and nothing has changed. When I got the short kind of abrupt email saying to take an Uber or a bus, I wrote back and said thank you anyway, I appreciate you trying.

Remember, the doctor's office said I couldn't take an Uber or taxi because they don't allow people who have been under anesthesia to leave with someone they do not know. 

So, would you have interpreted the first phone call as them saying they were going to take you to the ride?

I want to make sure I am reading things right as I age and don't misinterpret. I haven't been told I have cognitive decline but like to be on top of things.

Bronze Conversationalist

"Remember, the doctor's office said I couldn't take an Uber or taxi because they don't allow people who have been under anesthesia to leave with someone they do not know." 

That rule really should be changed.  I always tell the Doctor under no circumstance will I have transportation now aside of myself. I have had procedures postponed indefinitely because of this. 

Regular Contributor

I'll bet it has to do with the Physician's insurance. They may be open to a suit, if a patient should have a medical problem or accident following anesthesia. 

It is a problem. Thanks, Bob, for bringing it up.

Bronze Conversationalist

Im sure that is the case, though I'm not sure how long that anesthesia lasts, I would prefer to drive myself & "sleep it off", not all of us have friends & family either.  Yeah the hospital or Doctor isn't running a hotel service, perhaps what we are paying that would be a nice service rather than shoving us out the door. 

I remember picking up a former co-worker who drove herself to the ER, & had a hospital stay of several days, no reason why she couldn't had driven home, but I drove her over to her car after meeting her at discharge, as she asked & she drove home from there.   Silly policy in that case.   

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Tempest332 

These rules came about because occuances have happened that have happened to people over time that have put them in danger.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

My wife and I still drive but we are getting alone in years so we will not be able to drive each other.  Our retirement center has two vans which have bonded staff to take residence to appointments. 

We have two daughters in the Madison area.that can drive us any where.

Yes this is the best place to post this topic.as this issue is faced by some here or will be an issue in their future.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Periodic Contributor

Thanks Dave.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

They "should" be able to take you? I'm sensing reluctance for some reason right there. probably just me.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Lee, as I mention above, probably has to do with doctor's responsibility and his insurance. Would he be open to a suit should something happen to you on the way home.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP