Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

When to approach "new" apartment manager with a question

Periodic Contributor

When to approach "new" apartment manager with a question

I live in subsidized senior housing and  I am moving to a different subsidized senior apartment complex not too far from here.

Before ever meeting her, just based on a phone call to inquire about apartments at the "new" place, the apartment manager was abrasive. After the intial greeting one another,  I asked if the apartments were HUD apartments as I currently live in one and I know the rents are calculated based on income. She immediately lashed out in anger saying "I know why you are asking. So if you have any problems you can complain to HUD". I was shocked by her demeanor. I was just looking for a yes or no answer. I told her that's not why I was asking but the conversation had already been tainted by her outburst. And so was my impression of her.

I found out they are HUD subsized apartments and I applied for one. 

I was on the waiting list for 2 years. And just recently got notice that I was up for one of the apartments. I had an in face interview with the same woman, filled out a ton of papers and  eventually got word my application was approved. I won't be moving in for another month. During the interview she was very stern and didn't smile.  But I am not looking for marriage, I am looking to rent an apartment. Nevertheless, I was tense being around her.

When she called to tell me my application had been approved, she told me what my new rent will be and it is $100 more than I am paying at the current apartment I live in. Since they are both senior HUD apartments I thought the rent would be the same. I asked her about the cost of the rent she basically she told me "I have been doing this for 9 years and that is what your rent comes out to be".

I didn't want to get into a tussle with her and dropped the issue.

Where I currently live each year you sign up again to continue to live in the apartment and you get a print out of "how your rent was calcuated".

I want to ask the apartment manager at the new place for some kind of paperwork as to how my rent was calculated.

Would I do this before I move in? (call her back). Or just wait until the day I move in sometime in March and on that day when I am signing the lease and getting the keys to the apartment. 

I want the apartment either way and really don't wish to have much to do with this apartment manager because she is harsh.

is there any harm in waiting until the day I go in to sign the lease and pick up my keys and ask her then for a print of how my rent was calculated and tell her it is "for my records". I can examine the paper later and if there are any inconsistencies, I will now be an actual tenant there and can approach her in that capacity. Right now, I haven't even moved in yet.

What if she were to say "I don't have any documentation as to how your rent was calcuated".

Just throwing this out there. Any support would be appreciated. Navigating life alone. And don't have much experience with HUD subsidized senior housing.

Thank you.

Bob

Esteemed Social Butterfly

(3/30/24) @BobH2719 , did you get this RESOLVED? 🤔

[*** BOB @BobH2719 wrote:

I live in subsidized senior housing and  I am moving to a different subsidized senior apartment complex not too far from here.

Before ever meeting her, just based on a phone call to inquire about apartments at the "new" place, the apartment manager was abrasive. After the intial greeting one another,  I asked if the apartments were HUD apartments as I currently live in one and I know the rents are calculated based on income. She immediately lashed out in anger saying "I know why you are asking. So if you have any problems you can complain to HUD". I was shocked by her demeanor. I was just looking for a yes or no answer. I told her that's not why I was asking but the conversation had already been tainted by her outburst. And so was my impression of her.

I found out they are HUD subsized apartments and I applied for one. 

I was on the waiting list for 2 years. And just recently got notice that I was up for one of the apartments. I had an in face interview with the same woman, filled out a ton of papers and  eventually got word my application was approved. I won't be moving in for another month. During the interview she was very stern and didn't smile.  But I am not looking for marriage, I am looking to rent an apartment. Nevertheless, I was tense being around her.

When she called to tell me my application had been approved, she told me what my new rent will be and it is $100 more than I am paying at the current apartment I live in. Since they are both senior HUD apartments I thought the rent would be the same. I asked her about the cost of the rent she basically she told me "I have been doing this for 9 years and that is what your rent comes out to be".

I didn't want to get into a tussle with her and dropped the issue.

Where I currently live each year you sign up again to continue to live in the apartment and you get a print out of "how your rent was calcuated".

I want to ask the apartment manager at the new place for some kind of paperwork as to how my rent was calculated.

Would I do this before I move in? (call her back). Or just wait until the day I move in sometime in March and on that day when I am signing the lease and getting the keys to the apartment. 

I want the apartment either way and really don't wish to have much to do with this apartment manager because she is harsh.

is there any harm in waiting until the day I go in to sign the lease and pick up my keys and ask her then for a print of how my rent was calculated and tell her it is "for my records". I can examine the paper later and if there are any inconsistencies, I will now be an actual tenant there and can approach her in that capacity. Right now, I haven't even moved in yet.

What if she were to say "I don't have any documentation as to how your rent was calcuated".

Just throwing this out there. Any support would be appreciated. Navigating life alone. And don't have much experience with HUD subsidized senior housing.

Thank you.

Bob ***]

0 Kudos

(2 comments) Bob @BobH2719 , you are going to have to make "peace" with your NEW LANDLORD and coming at her "demanding" stuff is NOT the way - my "very humble" opinion.

Why not just "chill out" and I know this is very hard to do. Try to FOCUS on getting packed up and moving.

Then "lay low" for awhile.

Maybe once your NEW LANDLORD "sees" (you are NOT bothering her/lol) you want to START OVER = she will change.

Good Luck  😎

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@BobH2719and @SpringIsHereSoHappy,

I will have to respectively disagree with @SpringIsHereSoHappy's recommendation. My business experience in Human Relations have shown me that people's behaviors rarely change. As you have discovered already, the landlord's behavior has been consistent every time you have had contact with her. THAT WILL CONTINUE!!!

Is there not a chain of command that you can pursue to get the information you need without confronting this particular person again?

Lol @nctarheel , rarely do we "agree" and YOUR "suggestion" is worth TRYING!!!  👍

[*** @nctarheel wrote:

@BobH2719and @SpringIsHereSoHappy,

I will have to respectively disagree with @SpringIsHereSoHappy's recommendation. My business experience in Human Relations have shown me that people's behaviors rarely change. As you have discovered already, the landlord's behavior has been consistent every time you have had contact with her. THAT WILL CONTINUE!!!

Is there not a chain of command that you can pursue to get the information you need without confronting this particular person again? ***]

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP