Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

LOSS IN 2024 A SPOUSE TO CLAIM HIGHER SOC SEC BEFITS UPON THEIR RETIREMENT

Contributor

LOSS IN 2024 A SPOUSE TO CLAIM HIGHER SOC SEC BEFITS UPON THEIR RETIREMENT

NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT IT!  BUT IN 2024 IF A SPOUSE FOR WHATEVER REASON (E.G. CAREER INTERRUPTED TO RAISE CHILDREN) WILL HAVE A LESSER BENEFT THAT THEIR SPOUSE IS ELIGIBLE BECAUSE OF THEIR JOB/CAREER IS ELIBIBLE FOR HIGHER BENEFITS.

WHEN THE HIGHER SS INCOME SPOUSE DIES FIRST, THE LIVING SPOUSE WILL BECOME INELIGIBLE TO CLAIM THEIR SPOUSE BENEFITS.  WHY IS THIS SO HUSH, HUSH?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@gp47119749 

I think I saw what you are referring to today on my news feed page -  the one I saw was entitled:   This Social Security Spousal Rule Is Officially Finished in 2024 — But These 3 Strategies Remain

Do you know what "clickbait" is ?      This was clickbait.  A defining characteristic of clickbait is misrepresentation in the enticement presented to the user to manipulate them to click onto a link. 

The Social Security rule that they are referring to has been around since 2016 - it was legislated in the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015.  

SSA.gov - Filing Rules for Retirement and Spouses Benefits

The article just changed the dates and age reference to make you look - in other words - clickbait.

The important thing is the dates either from your article - i.e. "who turned 70 on Jan. 1, 2024"

OR from the SSA rule, i.e. " If you turn 62 before January 2, 2016 "

THESE ARE THE EXACT SAME WHEN REFERRING TO THE Social Security Rule.

I hope you understand that the writers of this article just wanted you to click on it to get your attention to perhaps see some other ads they were running.  They didn't lie - they just made it more dramatic so that they could get your attention.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

To my knowledge, these are the ONLY Social Security Program changes in 2024 and they are the normal ones which are just updated each year by some figure.

1.  COLA increase

2. Medicare Part B premium 

3. Social Security Earnings Threshold

4.  Social Security Earning Test

5.  Earnings Credit

AARP.org - How (5) Big Social Security Changes in 2024 Affect You 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Social Security beneficiaries who celebrated their 70th birthday on Jan. 1 are the last individuals to benefit from a special spousal rule. For everyone else, that rule is officially dead. 

Individuals born on or before Jan. 1, 1954, are eligible to use a Social Security strategy that allows someone to switch between their benefits and their spouse’s to receive the maximum amount. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@gp47119749 

I am confused by your post - can you clarify.

Social Security Retirement benefits are always calculated based on the income earned BY PERSON 

Social Security SURVIVORS benefits are always based on the higher benefit amount but there are age, family make up and earnings eligibility criteria for the remaining spouse if less than Full Retirement Age 

If you can clarify, I will be most happy to answer with a source.  

To my knowledge, and since I haven’t seen any rules or legislative changes, nothing is different in 2024 in how Social Security is computed or eligibility.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Hi, and welcome, gp!

I believe if you search both here (AARP.org) and at SSA.org, you'll find this is not "HUSH HUSH".

There are several videos here that discuss this exact topic, for example:

"If My Spouse Dies, Can I Collect Their Social Security Benefits?" 

"Can I Collect Social Security Spousal Benefits?" 

I hope this helps. 

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP