Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Hartford AARP Auto insurance premium increase, not justified.

Contributor

Hartford AARP Auto insurance premium increase, not justified.

My wife and I are in our late 60’s.  We’ve had Hartford Auto insurance for a few years through the AARP affiliation.  We pay our premium for the year in one payment, and also have a renters policy with Hartford.    We have no tickets or accidents.  We don’t drive an inordinate amount of miles.  I just received notice for the new yearly premium due in January, for some reason that was vaguely explained to me from a phone “agent” our premium was increased by nearly 25%.  That is way beyond inflation, and we don’t make frivolous claims with any of our insurance policies (we have other lines).  This increase is usury, and I’m surprised that with AARP advocating this company, that such an increase would be allowed.  I am asking for our organization’s help in getting this increase rolled back.  This is not in the interest of seniors.  Thank you in advance for your assistance. 

Periodic Contributor

A more than ridiculous increase! I just left the site where I attempted to remove the collision portion of coverage for my vehicle, and found an endless cycle of poorly guided "edits" were my only option. Notable is that there was no option I could find to remove collision (2013 vehicle already paid for). There was no "contact" or "customer service" links I could find, and no explanation for those items that were available for edit. In short, it was a maze of unexplained and unsupported options.  I'm truly disgusted both with Hartford and with AARP for renting out their name to Hartford and leaving members to encounter both the increases and lousy customer service.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@unlistedmoniker I'm sorry to hear you’re having trouble with our benefit provider. Let us help! Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team.  - Janelle M.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Take a minute to read the above article from Hartford

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@topspin43 

Which part of it?

That The Hartford has done well in it’s Commercial /Group side of their  business and that the Personal side is getting better because they are increasing their premium to make up for auto accidents?

from the link you gave -

. . . . . Underlying loss and loss adjustment expense ratio of 74.9 in fourth quarter 2023 compared with 71.5 in fourth quarter 2022, with the increase largely due to higher severity in auto liability and physical damage, partially offset by double-digit earned pricing increases benefiting both auto and homeowners.

Maybe I am just not reading what you are reading  -

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

You

re reading it well but you just don't know what you are talking about. Both are outstanding loss ratios considering insurance companies also make money on investment income. Most insurance companies are happy to have loss ratios in the 90s. Sounds like you may work for Hartford.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@topspin43 wrote:

Sounds like you may work for Hartford.

NOPE- don’t own stock either - at least not directly, would have to look for any mutual fund holdings.

0 Kudos

I got a 50% increase on my auto insurance.  The deductions are so high, that the insurance is useless except for catastrophic accident.  And other insurance companies (Progressive) are now less expensive without the AARP connection to The Hartford.  AARP has failed to obtain the best coverage for their millions of subscribers while continuing to tout the Hartford.  Shame on AARP.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Community Concierge

We're sorry to hear you’re having trouble with The Hartford, @Harvoc. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@AARPConsumerCare Yes, AARP is listening but *not* doing anything of substance in response that helps mitigate the outrageous rate increases with The Hartford. My suggestion is for others to do what I’m doing - changing to a better, significantly less expensive insurer (Progressive in my case) that provides the same degree of coverage. And, although I first joined over 20 years ago, I’ll also soon be quitting AARP and requesting a prorated membership fee refund. I no longer believe AARP is reliably following its Mission on behalf of seniors. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hello, we're sorry to hear you’re having trouble with one of our benefit providers. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. They act as liaison for AARP service providers. - Daniela R. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

50% increase. Goodbye Hartford and goodbye AARP. Useless.

Esteemed Social Butterfly

(2/29/24) GOOD for you @topspin43 !!! So MANY other options out there.  😎

[*** @topspin43 wrote:

50% increase. Goodbye Hartford and goodbye AARP. Useless. ***]

Regular Contributor

100% increase in Hartford Auto premium in 2 years. No ticket or accident or claims. Seriously.

That's nothing friend, my insurances (auto and homeowners) have both increased by a whopping 30+ percent. That now absorbs a full two months of my social security income. I guess Hartford has completely lost any sense of propriety that it may have had. Social Security is my only income. Now I guess that I must starve for two months out of every year or lose my home, car and any sense of security that I may have built for myself. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Ditto, just got my renewal, up 29%, no tix, claims or changes... inflation?? my pay only went up 2.7% go figure. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

All insurance companies have been playing the same game(car and home insurance) past 10 years. My solution have been, shopping for all insurance before expiration dates (say around 1-2 months in advance) and changing them every year. This strategy never failed me and saved thousands each year. I understand its a little hassle but saves you a lot of money, nevertheless most people choose the convenience of not switching. I never include property taxes and insurance in my mortgage payments as well((just P &I) principal and interest only, therefore not loaning my money to mortgage companies for free and avoiding the hassle of calling companies to switch and or cancel the policies etc. Again this is just me, just a train of thought  for penny pinchers like me. Second advice: Do your own shopping instead of relying on what . they tell you over the phone. Print and or view your current policies and do apple to apple comparison, what you need. (don't underinsure and or over insure by assuming you will get something more incase of a accident and or disaster with you home.  (keep in mind that rebuild cost can be higher or lower  comparison to appraised and or sale value(what you night thing you home worth). Property taxes? Always do not ignore the county property notice and file a dispute(literally takes  few minutes to an hour of your time most to save thousands(county assessor's tax valuation might be higher then 2 years of sale data you have(county web sites will give you the best 4-5 home sales in your area in the past 2-5 years(use it and appeal before the appeal period ends).

I totally agree & share your opinion & concerns. Same thing with me and I switched to Auto Owners and saved hundreds annually.

My agent explained that Auto Owners was so much less for the same, if not better coverage, because they don't write policies in Florida or California where so many natural disasters occur. Lets face it, when you buy insurance you're put in a pool with all the other policy owners who contribute to covering claims.

Silver Conversationalist

We had Hartford on cars and house for several years.  When a large jump in premiums came - we simply shopped around and made a change.  Very easy to do.  Hartford did refund the unused portion of our one year in advance prepaid premium.  Very nice.  There are plenty of insurance companies out there. 

Regular Contributor

That’s reasonable, we will be shopping around. It’s just stressful. Companies used to reward no claims, no tickets and low mileage, plus pay in full ,with no increases in premiums. Just disappointed. I like finding a good company and staying with them. Little peace of mind.

Regular Social Butterfly

Just writing my experience...

for years Hartford fined NV insureds due to no drink drive laws; once NV did, the Hartford chose to go global and charge 50-70% increase in NV; I'm pretty sure they did the same elsewhere.

NOW, this must stop! How in the world can any government continue to allow this false statement? Please stop any war or madness, please?

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”

I I just purchased insurance from them and found the salesperson to be unethical in that he didn't provide me the information I needed to make good choices ending up with a policy with an exorbitant price. After checking around with friends, I called and spoke to someone in customer service who was very helpful and got my policy cost cut in half. So i'm not surprised to hear of your experience.  I will be shopping around for new insurance. 

Honored Social Butterfly

NPR - Economy - 09/13/2023 - 4 reasons why your car insurance premium is soaring

Bronze Conversationalist

Call it like it is ... folks are diddling with their phones while driving & driving overpriced vehicles that are expensive to fix or easily totaled. 

Yeah I see the "loose cannons" too when I drive in rush hour, usually in oversized Silverados, Rams & F-150s. 

0 Kudos

You have a bargain. Our preliminary notice indicated a 43.7% increase after 20.7% increase for 2023.  We also have not had any claims.  Possibly they have an age threshold where, no matter how well you drive or have no accidents, they are going to hammer you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP